Use Case: Your organization has installed SharePoint behind the corporate firewall to manage and organize your electronic content. Also, your organization is actively digitizing paper documents via document scanners and, as a compliment to scanning to improve efficiency, desires to use Automatic Data Capture software technology to extract pertinent information from an invoice such as invoice number, bill to, ship to and total. However, in this ever-evolving world of on-the-go and mobile you find yourself and your fellow co-workers on the road quite often which is problematic due to poor support of mobile devices when using SharePoint. In this case you will want to be able to view, as well as contribute content to SharePoint using a highly-collaborative and easy to use service such as Box which has outstanding mobile device support.
Use Case Scenarios:
- Accounts Payable (for improved cash flow): Invoices are quite common in most organizations no matter what your vertical market focus. Using data capture software technology organizations can automate the process of entering relevant index into their accounts payable system. Just simply capture an image of the invoice then the data capture software can intelligently locate an area containing the information such as areas on the page with the word, or words, and variations of Invoice Number, Invoice No. or Inv. #, for example. Once these keywords are found then the system is intelligent enough to find, and extract the data you want from Invoices such as Invoice Number, Date, Net Terms, Bill To, Ship To and Total Amount. All this metadata extracted is then stored in SharePoint so that the accounting department can then help achieve cash flow improvements such as getting invoices paid to take advantage of pay discounts (i.e. NET 15 terms) by filtering the Net Terms metadata field in SharePoint to pay all these invoice as a priority.
- Healthcare Insurance (for enhanced adherence to compliance): Healthcare providers are often reimbursed by Healthcare Insurance companies through the use of standard claim forms such as CMS-1500 or HCFA (Health Care Financing Administration) claim forms. These forms have a standard format meaning that the same type of data (i.e. the field ”Social Security Number” is always found in the same location on the form). These forms contain a lot of information crammed onto one form which is great for convenience, but terrible for manual data entry because they can contain in excess of 200+ fields per form! In our use case we would use data capture technology to automatically extract all these metadata fields and then populate SharePoint metadata fields with this information. We can then apply all sorts of security and rules policy based on this metadata. For example, the insurance company can view how many outstanding claims there are based on a “Procedure ID” but they don’t have access to the specifics beyond that which could possibly be a violation of the law.
- Government (for better consumer service): One of the main purposes of the Government is to serve the best interest of the community with various services to enrich people’s lives. Applying for, and especially receiving these services, depends a lot on the accuracy of information acquired by these respective Governmental agencies and often this information is contained on paper-based forms. Governmental departments often have a bad stigma because of all the bureaucracy and inefficiency that is clearly obvious to most consumers such a long wait times or lost paperwork. However, this is not neccessarily people’s fault, rather its the process that is broken. If you really consider the source of wasted effort, it most likely revolves around paper forms. In this use case we would want to take these various ‘social service application’ forms filled out by consumers and process them with automatic data capture so that these agents can spend more time consulting with the applicants instead of doing manual data entry. This ultimately would create a win-win-win situation and drastically reduce frustration with all parties involved where the Government can achieve better satisfaction among their workers, the consumers themselves are better served in a timely manner and a more efficient overall process to improve service is implemented
Solution Description: LibraryCard combines “systems of record” and “systems of engagement” by connecting the governance and control of Microsoft SharePoint 2010 and the flexibility and convenience of Box. LibraryCard provides companies with the ability to leverage content platforms inside and outside their firewall for an enterprise content management system that really works “better together”.
Configuration Steps (Complexity = Simple, just need administrative privileges):
- Install the Library_Card.wsp file on SharePoint 2010 Farm Server
- Deploy and Activate LibraryCard
- Once you have verified that LibraryCard is Active, then configure your Box account to connect with LibraryCard by choosing the New Box Account link, then login to your Box account. Upon successful configuration you will get the Box thank you message
User operation (Complexity = Easy):
- Just use SharePoint 2010 or Box as you normally would
Associated screen prints on this solution:
1. Invoice with web-based Automatic Data Capture
2. CMS-1500 with web-based Automatic Data Capture
3. Deploy LibraryCard
4. Activate LibraryCard
5. Verify activation
6. LibraryCard Configuration
7. New Box Account connection to LibraryCard
8. Login to Box account to connect LibraryCard
9. Successful connection of LibraryCard and Box
10. Users files in SharePoint 2010
11. Same files that were in SharePoint 2010 are automatically synced to Box. Users can also add files into Box and have them synced back to SharePoint 2010 via the bi-directional sync functionality of LibraryCard